Background installation ran into a problem in Office 2016 and other versions of office commonly occur because of an existing installation of MS Office pack in your computer system. Hence it is also called as Multiple copies of office installed error.Please note that this error is relevant to all the editions of Microsoft Office 2016, Office 2019 and Microsoft Office 365.
Multiple Copies of Office Installed Microsoft Support
This can occur in the below-enlisted versions of the MS Operating System
- Windows Server Edition of the year 2012/2008
- Windows 7 /8 /8.1/10
Background Installation Ran into a Problem in Office 2016
This causes when your Office program related files are corrupted. It is required to repair your Office program. In addition, we need to check for malware or virus related issues on your computer.
Background installation ran into a problem office 2016
Reasons for this Background Installation Ran into a Problem (office 2013, 2016, 2019):-
There are several possibilities for background installation ran into a problem error when attempting office 365, office 2013, office 2016 installation.
- Slow internet connection
- File system error in your machine
- Firewall/antivirus blocking office program
- windows update errors
Slow Internet Connection:-
While your machine is installing office software from online, you need to have a good internet speed.However, sometimes it shows error message like Office is taking too long to install because of internet speeds.
The better way to overcome this problem is, First restart your computer if it is stopped at 90% level and do check if office program already installed.If it is not installed, then download an exe file for offline installation of office software by log into your microsoft account.
File System Error:-
Sometimes your computer has already installed with another/previous version of office software. then the fresh installation might overlaps and unable to install properly. So before you are attempting to install any office software make sure you are deleted all previous traces of it.
You can find them under WINDOWS C–Program files–common files—Microsoft shared—office15.
Often, firewall and antivirus programs blocks suspicious IP addresses. It is better to stop/off firewall settings, and try to reinstall again to avoid background installation error of office software.
NOTE: Fix it- Microsoft provides some fix-it tools for common issues.Before doing the re-install of the office program once fix it tool and proceed.
After that, To uninstall Office 2011 or 2016 for Mac, see the section Uninstall Office on a Mac or older versions of Office.
Manual troubleshoot for the error “Background installation ran into a problem”:
Repair/Uninstall Office Program: –
- Applies To: Office 2016, Office for business, Office 365 Admin, Office 365 Small Business Admin, Office 2013
- The following steps describe how to uninstall Office 2016 or 2013 products on a PC (laptop, desktop, or 2-in-1). For other versions of Office, including Office 2016 for Mac, or older versions of Office, see the section, Uninstall Office for Mac, Office 2010, or Office 2007 below.Try uninstalling Office using the Control Panel first. If that doesn’t work use the easy fix tool or try uninstalling Office manually.
For Windows 8 / Windows 8.1/10:-
- Go to control panel from the start button,
- Select Programs and features there to reach a list of installed programs on your computer. (In Windows 10 you can just type “programs and features in the Cortana search bar beside windows start logo)
- From the list, search for Microsoft Office product and click on Change
- A window will open like here showing Add, Repair, Remove options
- Then proceed to repair and wait for sometimes. Once the repair is successful you are ready to use Microsoft office product again.
To uninstall follow the first 4 steps from the repair process, and choose to Remove instead of repair.
IMPORTANT:. It’s impossible to uninstall office applications (word, excel, publisher etc) individually from total office product.The only way to uninstall an individual app is if you purchased it as a stand-alone version.
Installing Office Product:-
Install the latest product that is compatible with your computer.
You will need your product key at this stage. Log into your account and follow these steps
Once it has been reinstalled then you will probably be able to run the product. Make sure that your system is compatible with the latest version of the Microsoft product that you are downloading.
Visit the support website at https://products.office.com/en-US/office-system-requirements.
Select the Standalone Requirements
Once you have selected the above it will display the system requirements that are required.
This excerpt shows the processor requirements but further down on the page it also covers other requirements and gives tips what might be required for the Microsoft product that you are having trouble with.
If you still continue having trouble with the installation of the product you have the option of communicating with a virtual agent through the instant messaging service or ask on the community forum. You will find that many of them have had the same problem and will be able to let you know how they have solved the particular issue. There are different methods of solving the problem and sometimes the straightforward procedure recommended by Microsoft might need further steps to resolve the problem.
Still.. need help!
Chat with our Technical Experts for support.