This error 0xC1900101-0x4000D mainly occurs in Windows 10 update version installation. Many users have informed that they are getting this windows 10 update issue while the second phase booting with migration_data operation process running.
Disclaimers: Before you attempt to fix an issue with the windows update, we highly recommend you to take a registry backup and create a system restore point as a precaution method. In case if something goes wrong, we can restore your computer to the same stage and fix the issues. (In case if you not sure how to back it up, talk to an expert for assistance.)
How to Avoid Windows 10 Installation Fails With Error Code 0xC1900101-0x4000D?
Before you update/upgrade any operating system, you should follow some steps to avoid unwanted errors.
- Check to make of your computer and model, whether it supports the new update you want to install.
- Check pre-requisites for versions you are installing.
- Backup your old version through the restoring point.
- Try to make is of a new version to install easily.
Why the Computer Often Shows Errors While Operating System Update?
You may see this code 0xC1900101-0x4000D when windows 10 update failures mainly because of version switching not happening smoothly.(when you try to jump version to 1703 by skipping all updates it needed ). Make sure you have the latest version and build number before updating to version 1703 of windows 10.
Windows 10 Creators Update Error Code 0xC1900101-0x4000D?
Check whether you have installed all updates regarding the operating system.If you have already tried and encountered the same issue several times, then follow these steps.
Windows Updates Troubleshooting Tool –
Use windows update readiness tool to fix many windows update errors like 0xC1900101-0x4000D, 0x4001e. Otherwise, use windows update readiness tool (if you are IT professional or support agent) and get suitable KB to fix update issues.
Run a system file scan to check corrupted files:-
The system file scanning process is very simple to try while fixing issues with windows issues. Just follow these steps. Open command prompt in admin mode, to do this Type CMD in windows start menu search and right click on CMD application to get through Run as admin option.
- In the command prompt window, type SFC/SCANNOW and press enter,
- The scanning process takes some time to return results.
Using restore health option to fix corrupted files:-
For most of the serious issues, and to save your time the best way to fix these critical issues are restoring to good healthy partition. Before doing this stop the windows update services.
Open the command prompt as admin (Mentioned above in SFC scan process), Then instead of running SFC scan now command type this following command in the window.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
After some time your machine will be restored to a good healthy state. Now you can start your windows updates as usual.
Windows Update Troubleshooter/Fix it Tool:-
Microsoft has released several fix it tools/patches for most of the updates issues. Depends on your requirement choose a right fix it tool for your issue and run it on your machine. This will help you when there are simple issues like folder missing errors, permissions related issues.
Download fix it tool- for WINDOWS 10 click here, for window 7/8/8.1 click here.
SDF Cleaning Method:-
In this method, we clean and recreate the software distribution folder by deleting all temporary files in it.
- Go to C:/ drive, then open windows named folder in it.
- Open SoftwareDistribution folder (SDF)
- Open DataStore folder and then delete all files and folders in it.
- Again go back to SoftwareDistribution folder,
open the Download folder and delete all files in it.
Note: while deleting, it may prompt for admin permission. If you are logged in as the admin user. just click on ok to proceed.
Reset IPv4 or IPv6 Settings:-
- Goto the path—–>Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center
- Select your internet Connection ..Click on properties.
- Select IPv4 and click on properties.
- Select custom settings for IP address.. and keep google DNS settings 126.96.36.199 and DNS 188.8.131.52
(For IPv6 : 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844)
- Click on OK.
Resetting Operating System:-
Follow this when you have less knowledge of windows technology about command prompts, files and registry fixing steps.
- If you are using windows 10, just type in “RESET PC” in the Cortana search bar(windows start button search) and select RESET PC from the results.
- Then under the RESET PC, click on get started button to proceed.
- There are two options to keep your files and complete clean. (You must take back up of your desktop files, pictures, downloads, documents before proceeding to completely clean.)
- After reset, you may do updates cleanly without any issue. This resetting process takes time so please do it when you don’t have any urgent work on your computer.
For additional support on error 0xC1900101-0x4000D chat with our Technical Support.